Here are some of the hardware requirement for FreeBSD.
FreeBSD currently runs on a wide variety of ISA, VLB, EISA, MCA and PCI bus based PC's, ranging from 386sx to Pentium class machines
(though the 386sx is not recommended). Support for generic IDE or ESDI drive configurations, various SCSI controller, network and serial cards is also provided.
A minimum of four megabytes of RAM is required to run FreeBSD. To run the X Window System, eight megabytes of RAM is the recommended
Following is a list of all disk controllers and Ethernet cards currently known to work with FreeBSD. Other configurations may very well
work, and we have simply not received any indication of this.
- Hard Disk Controllers
WD1003 (any generic MFM/RLL)
WD1007 (any generic IDE/ESDI)
Adaptec 1535 ISA SCSI controllers
Adaptec 154x series ISA SCSI controllers
Adaptec 174x series EISA SCSI controller in standard and enhanced mode.
Adaptec 274X/284X/2920C/2930U2/294x/2950/3940/3950 (Narrow/Wide/Twin) series EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI controllers.
Adaptec AIC7850, AIC7860, AIC7880, AIC789x, on-board SCSI controllers.
AdvanSys SCSI controllers (all models).
BusLogic MultiMaster controllers:
Note: BusLogic/Mylex "Flashpoint" adapters are NOT yet supported.
BusLogic MultiMaster "W" Series Host Adapters:
BusLogic MultiMaster "C" Series Host Adapters:
BusLogic MultiMaster "S" Series Host Adapters:
BusLogic MultiMaster "A" Series Host Adapters:
AMI FastDisk controllers that are true BusLogic MultiMaster clones are also supported.
- DPT SmartCACHE Plus, SmartCACHE III, SmartRAID III, SmartCACHE IV and SmartRAID IV SCSI/RAID controllers
are supported. The DPT SmartRAID/CACHE V is not yet supported.
- Compaq Intelligent Disk Array Controllers: IDA, IDA-2, IAES, SMART, SMART-2/E, Smart-2/P, SMART-2SL, Smart
Array 3200, Smart Array 3100ES and Smart Array 221.
- SymBios (formerly NCR) 53C810, 53C810a, 53C815, 53C820, 53C825a, 53C860, 53C875, 53C875j, 53C885, 53C895
and 53C896 PCI SCSI controllers:
- ASUS SC-200
- Data Technology DTC3130 (all variants)
- Diamond FirePort (all)
- NCR cards (all)
- Symbios cards (all)
- Tekram DC390W, 390U and 390F
- Tyan S1365
- QLogic 1020, 1040, 1040B, 1080, 1240 and 2100 SCSI and Fibre Channel Adapters
- DTC 3290 EISA SCSI controller in 1542 emulation mode.
With all supported SCSI controllers, full support is provided for SCSI-I & SCSI-II peripherals, including hard disks, optical disks,
tape drives (including DAT and 8mm Exabyte), medium changers, processor target devices and CDROM drives. WORM devices that support CDROM commands are supported for read-only access by the CDROM driver.
WORM/CD-R/CD-RW writing support is provided by cdrecord, which is in the ports tree.
The following CD-ROM type systems are supported at this time:
- SoundBlaster SCSI and ProAudio Spectrum SCSI (cd)
- Mitsumi (all models) proprietary interface (mcd)
- Matsushita/Panasonic (Creative) CR-562/CR-563 proprietary interface (matcd)
- Sony proprietary interface (scd)
- ATAPI IDE interface (wcd)
The following drivers were supported under the old SCSI subsystem, but are NOT YET supported under the new CAM
- Tekram DC390 and DC390T controllers (maybe other cards based on the AMD 53c974 as well).
- NCR5380/NCR53400 ("ProAudio Spectrum") SCSI controller.
- UltraStor 14F, 24F and 34F SCSI controllers.
- Seagate ST01/02 SCSI controllers.
- Future Domain 8xx/950 series SCSI controllers.
- WD7000 SCSI controller.
- Adaptec 1510 series ISA SCSI controllers (not for bootable devices)
- Adaptec 152x series ISA SCSI controllers
- Adaptec AIC-6260 and AIC-6360 based boards, which includes the AHA-152x and SoundBlaster SCSI cards.
- Allied-Telesis AT1700 and RE2000 cards
- SMC Elite 16 WD8013 Ethernet interface, and most other WD8003E, WD8003EBT, WD8003W, WD8013W, WD8003S,
WD8003SBT and WD8013EBT based clones. SMC Elite Ultra and 9432TX based cards are also supported.
- DEC EtherWORKS III NICs (DE203, DE204, and DE205)
- DEC EtherWORKS II NICs (DE200, DE201, DE202, and DE422)
- DEC DC21040/DC21041/DC21140 based NICs:
- ASUS PCI-L101-TB
- Accton ENI1203
- Cogent EM960PCI
- Compex CPXPCI/32C
- D-Link DE-530
- DEC DE435
- DEC DE450
- Danpex EN-9400P3
- JCIS Condor JC1260
- Kingston KNE100TX
- Linksys EtherPCI
- Mylex LNP101
- SMC EtherPower 10/100 (Model 9332)
- SMC EtherPower (Model 8432)
- SMC EtherPower (2)
- Znyx ZX314
- Znyx ZX342
- DEC FDDI (DEFPA/DEFEA) NICs
- Fujitsu FMV-181 and FMV-182
- Fujitsu MB86960A/MB86965A
- Intel EtherExpress
- Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B 100Mbit.
- Isolan AT 4141-0 (16 bit)
- Isolink 4110 (8 bit)
- Lucent WaveLAN wireless networking interface.
- Novell NE1000, NE2000, and NE2100 ethernet interface.
- 3Com 3C501 cards
- 3Com 3C503 Etherlink II
- 3Com 3c505 Etherlink/+
- 3Com 3C507 Etherlink 16/TP
- 3Com 3C509, 3C579, 3C589 (PCMCIA) Etherlink III
- 3Com 3C590, 3C595 Etherlink III
- 3Com 3C90x cards.
- HP PC Lan Plus (27247B and 27252A)
- Toshiba ethernet cards
- PCMCIA ethernet cards from IBM and National Semiconductor are also supported.
FreeBSD does not currently support PnP (plug-n-play) features present on some ethernet cards. If your card has PnP and is giving you problems, try disabling its PnP features.
- AST 4 port serial card using shared IRQ.
- ARNET 8 port serial card using shared IRQ.
- BOCA IOAT66 6 port serial card using shared IRQ.
- BOCA 2016 16 port serial card using shared IRQ.
- Cyclades Cyclom-y Serial Board.
- STB 4 port card using shared IRQ.
- SDL Communications Riscom/8 Serial Board.
- SDL Communications RISCom/N2 and N2pci sync serial cards.
- Digiboard Sync/570i high-speed sync serial card.
- Decision-Computer Intl. ``Eight-Serial'' 8 port serial cards using shared IRQ.
- Adlib, SoundBlaster, SoundBlaster Pro, ProAudioSpectrum, Gravis UltraSound, Gravis UltraSound MAX and
Roland MPU-401 sound cards.
- Matrox Meteor video frame grabber.
- Creative Labs Video spigot frame grabber.
- Omnimedia Talisman frame grabber.
- Brooktree BT848 chip based frame grabbers.
- X-10 power controllers.
- PC joystick and speaker.